Wednesday 2 December 2015

When is a computer not a computer?

(2015)

Annoying, Unpaid Super Volunteers

On Monday, 23 November 2015, at about 15:45, I was seated at the Ground-Floor Booking PC in Tunbridge Wells Library, when a man sitting at PC5 rudely interrupted what I was doing (making me jump with a start) to tell me that the PC I was sitting at was not actually a computer! (I assume he meant it did not connect to the Internet; while he assumed I was wearing a sign around my neck that said “Ignoramus”: Relevant 37-second audio or e-mail attachment.)

How did he know what my intention was? Is he claiming psychic powers?

How does he know what I do (or do not) know about the working of the library’s computer system? Is he clairvoyant?

On what basis does he issue unsolicited interruptions to library customers going about their lawful business, in the bizarre guise of being helpful? Is he a member of some secretive organisation whose members interrupt, distract and otherwise annoy others?

Why would he assume others are more ignorant (or more stupid) than he? Does he somehow know the level of technical competence &/or IQ that complete strangers possess?

About half-an-hour later I noticed him annoying another customer in the Reference Section - again, by offering unsolicited help to someone who was in the process of solving their own technical problems. Is he an unpaid library guide, provided to solve customer problems even before customers know they have such problems?

Because he obviously does not work for the Library Service, is he - perhaps - a mentally-ill and/or rather lonely eccentric offering pseudo-help to those who have not asked for it, whom he clearly believes (without supporting evidence) are either ignorant or stupid - or both; thereby, actually being more irritating than helpful?

The mind boggles.



No comments:

Post a Comment